March 26, 2020
As noted previously, we implemented our Pandemic Business Continuity protocols on March 20. By March 23, nearly all employees were working remotely. We have a few of us still in the offices for some functions requiring physical presence such as incoming and outgoing mail and facility maintenance. Our plans had been fully tested in the past, and we are operating as expected during this national emergency.
While we are attempting to avoid unnecessary physical contact, we want you to know that in nearly all jurisdictions that have issued "shelter in place" orders, the business of insurance is considered essential and is exempt. If you need a physical visit from your local representative, risk management, or claim adjuster, please contact us.
The annual policyholder meeting for Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company is usually held on the third Friday of May. The Board of Directors has voted to postpone the 2020 meeting until August due to the pandemic. Members will receive notice when the new date is established.
Although we do not know what future disruption may occur, you can take a simple step to mitigate a postal service disruption. Sign up for your member portal account and select paperless delivery. You will receive policies and invoices in your portal account, avoiding potential delays while helping the environment. You also have the ability to download the documents to save elsewhere.
The Pharmacists Mutual team is proud to support our members throughout the country, most of whom remain operational since they are also essential. Thank you for serving your communities during this time of need.
March 20, 2020
As daily events surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak continue to evolve, so do our actions and response to maintain safety while providing you with the best possible service. Here are our latest updates.
- We have now fully engaged our Pandemic Business Continuity protocols and all offices are closed to the public.
- All employees are now working remotely with the exception of those that must be in the office to carry out required tasks or those who have no access to internet from their home.
- By Monday, March 23, we will have 15 or less people inside our main office and less than five people in our Austin, Texas office.
- Travel for Field employees in CA, NY, PA, and WA is suspended with the exception of claim adjusting activities.
- Field employees in all other states have restricted travel to critical member needs only.
Our entire team remains on duty to assist you by phone or email as needed. Please reach out if there is anything we can do to assist with your insurance needs. We expect your calls to be answered as usual, but please understand that slight delays and unusual background noise may occur due to the remote work situation.
I would like to assure all members that your company remains well capitalized and has considerable liquidity in order to deal with financial market volatility.
In addition, nearly all of our commercial members operate critical operations that remain open during this pandemic. Thank you for being there for your patients and customers during a time of need. And, thank you for your trust in Pharmacists Mutual.
March 19, 2020
Pharmacists Mutual is announcing additional steps to safeguard our employees, members, and the public.
- Additional employees will begin working remotely. With this change, we expect less than 20% of our team will be in our main office at any one time. Those who are in the office have been instructed to distance themselves from others, and we have temporarily moved some people to other workstations.
- The Board of Directors of Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company has voted unanimously to postpone the 2020 annual Policyholder Meeting originally scheduled for May 15, 2020. The meeting will be held in August. Members will be notified of the meeting date in advance in compliance with Iowa law and the company by-laws.
- The Company is working to comply with H.R. 6201, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act signed by President Trump on March 18. Even before this law was enacted, the Company took steps to provide employees additional sick days for use during the pandemic.
- We will be offering payment flexibility for members who need it. Please click here for more details.
The Pharmacists Mutual team is working hard to maintain the level of service you expect during this disruption. However, with most staff working remotely you may experience some unusual delay. Thank you for understanding.
March 16, 2020
Pharmacists Mutual is actively monitoring the ongoing developments regarding COVID-19. The safety of our employees, members, and community while continuing to serve our members is our number one priority. We have implemented the following actions to reduce risk of exposure to the virus:
- Access to our offices will be restricted. Only approved visitors with a critical business reason are permitted.
- Our local PMC Advantage Insurance Services offices are limiting staff and closing the offices to public access.
- The company will be restricting non-essential business travel through at least April 15.
- Our facilities personnel are spending extra time and resources cleaning and disinfecting our work areas.
- A significant portion of our staff will be working remotely, mostly from their homes, through at least the end of March. This step is being taken to reduce the chance of exposure to the employees who will remain in the office.
- Our technology team is ensuring we have the equipment in place if all or most of our remaining employees cannot make it to our offices.
Pharmacists Mutual has invested considerable time and resources for business continuity planning. A pandemic is a scenario that we have included in our preparations. Our tested continuity plan allows us to operate during unexpected events like this, and we will endeavor to provide you with uninterrupted service.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization and will make additional adjustments to operations as the situation demands. If you have a specific question, please contact us at 800.247.5930 or email us at email@example.com.
Edward J. Yorty
President and CEO
Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Group