Hurricane Matthew, a large category three hurricane heading towards the southeast United States, is expected to bring strong winds, heavy surf, and torrential rain beginning late Thursday or early Friday. Current forecasts are uncertain if a landfall will occur. We are concerned about you and your family’s well-being. Being prepared may be the one thing you can control.
Here is a check list of several ways to prepare:
- Listen to local media, weather radio, or the Weather Channel to keep updated on storm events.
- Bring inside or secure outdoor items that can be picked up by wind (outdoor furniture, bicycles, and flower pots).
- Close all windows, and board them up if possible.
- Turn refrigerator and freezer to coldest setting (except for those protecting stock that must be maintained within strict range) in case you lose power.
- Unplug all unused appliances.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- Fill your bathtub in case your water supply is disrupted.
- Obtain a supply of cash in case communication systems are disrupted.
- Refill prescription medications if you do not have enough to last through potential power and supply disruptions.
- Gather your important documents including insurance policies.
- Contact family outside the affected area and let them know what your plans are.
- Create an evacuation plan and be sure to listen to authorities regarding evacuations.
- Refer to RedCross.org/SafeandWell or call 1-866-GETINFO for additional tips.
Emergency Supply List
|Three day supply of water, one gallon per person (don’t forget extra for pets and infants) also keep extra water for toilet flushing, food preparation and to clean up||Extra blankets and bedding |
|Three day supply of food (non-perishable items, easy to prepare)||Seven day supply of medications (gather all supplies, syringes, cane/walker)|
|Flashlight & extra batteries||Extra pet and/or baby supplies|
|Battery powered or hand crank radio||Tools to secure your home|
|Rain gear||Extra set of car/house keys|
|First aid kit||Insect repellant & sunscreen|
|Cell phone and chargers (many hand crank radios can power USB powered items)||Non-prescription medication (aspirin, laxatives, stomach medication)|
If you are impacted: Call our claims department any time, day or night at 800.247.5930 or file online at apps.phmic.com/claimsform. From all of us at Pharmacists Mutual – be safe!